We all know that Social Media is here to stay and it is crucial to your business to be part of it. I’ve written this post with the new online business owner in mind but these are good practices for anyone in business.
Here are 7 easy tips to help you make the most of social media.
- Have a social media strategy. What are your goals for using social media? Who are you trying to reach? What are you trying to say? This is the most critical step for using social media and the one that most entrepreneurs avoid doing. Take the time and create a simple strategy to start – you can always update it as you move forward.
- Setup your profiles. Spend time setting up and completing your profiles. I would recommend at a minimum having profiles for Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, Google+ and Pinterest.
- Use social media tools. Since you cannot be on social media 24×7 there are several great FREE tools that you can use to schedule your posts and tweets. Try Hootsuite, TweetDeck or Sprout Social and see which one works best for you.
- Use Twitter #hashtags. Using hashtags in Twitter is a great way to reach more of your target market. Hashtags are Twitter’s way of organizing. For example, here are a few hashtags I use when I tweet – #entrepreneur, #smallbiz, #solopreneur and #techietip. Use the Twitter Search box to locate groups by entering different hashtags. Once you’ve identified the ones you want to use – simply add them to your Tweets.
- Participate. It’s important to block out time on your daily calendar to participate in social media. I recommend scheduling multiple times each day and then sticking to the schedule. (It is very easy to spend hours on Facebook for instance.) You want to participate at different times of the day to reach a different audience. To start you can keep it simple by sharing tweets and posts that interest you. Consistency is key!
- Monitor. Is your social media strategy working? Are you getting new friends and followers? Are people sharing your content or commenting on it? If not, you may want to revisit your strategy and make some changes.
- Be smart about what you share. Don’t air your dirty laundry on social media. Treat social media like any live networking event – be courteous and professional and most of all be personable.
Thanks for reading! Please share your tips – I would love to hear them.